This trail is located on the Enoree Ranger District, east of Whitmire. The spring was used to provide water for a nearby plantation, called Orange Hall, in the 1800's. Nothing but scattered bricks of the house remain today.
The name of the spring is derived from its shape - that of a Jew's harp. It was carved from a solid piece of granite by J.E. Sherman in the 1860's. Water from the ground comes into a hole in the center of the circular section. It then drains through a groove that runs from the bowl down toward the creek. The water, which flows at the rate of 3 1/2 gallons per minute, never overflows the sides but keeps the bowl filled at all times. The 6-inch deep bowl is sheltered by another granite slab and is surrounded on three sides by other stones.
Directions from Whitmire: Travel northeast on US Hwy. 72/121 to State Road 45 (Maybinton Road). Turn right (south) and drive 4.4 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 393 and drive 0.4 miles to Collins Creek Campground.